11.14.2007

Beads Gone Bad

A.K.A. FUGLY BEADS

Bad beads bad beads, watcha gonna do.....whatcha gonna do when they come for you... (Theme song by Tam)

Making beads sometimes requires experimentation, and well, sometimes experiments go horribly wrong. I'm going to share some of those bad experiments with you, lest you think every bead that comes out of my kiln is a work of art.

This bead is definitely over baked. The color is gross and the shape; ugh. It looks more like a turd than a bead.

This one was inspired by a beautiful sunset I had seen. Unfortunately, I was unable to achieve the desired effect in glass. That was disappointing. Maybe with a different technique and different glass, or maybe with a little more skill, I'll finally be able to capture that sunset.
I was trying to make an encased floral bead, but I let the core bead get too hot and smooshy when I wrapped the clear glass around it. Clear encasing is something I need to practice a lot more. I don't do it because I'm not very good at it, but the effect is stunning when it's done right.

This bead had potential. There's a lot of interesting things going on with it; little sparkles of gold, and an organic look, but I think it has a little too much going on so it looks chaotic, and I didn't get the encasing quite right on it either.

I learn a little something each time a bead goes bad, so it's not a complete waste of time, gas, and glass, and it gives me the opportunity to learn persistence. It's tempting to give up on a technique when it's difficult at first, but mastering a difficult technique is worth the time and frustration, no matter what it is one is trying to achieve, whether it's a pretty bead, a new dance step, or speaking a second language. See? Beads are good for life, even the bad ones!
post signature

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thomas Edison said "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."

Acutally, I think some of your "failures" look pretty darn good! Especially the one with the little sparkles of gold - I like a little chaos once in a while.

Jamie Dawn said...

The tri-color would-be sunset one is really pretty, I think.
Even the bad beads look good.
You should make a necklace of bad beads. It would be unique and make for some interesting conversation.

Jennifer said...

Aw, you guys are sweet. I noticed no one said the turd bead was pretty. lol! I agree, a necklace of fugly beads would be interesting.

Anonymous said...

Your failures are still beautiful! It makes ME want to make beads!
XOXO

R said...

I especially like the sunset bead---it is not bad. The others are not bad either. The black "turd" bead is not as bad as you think. If you had a whole string of those you could wear it with your black dress to a funeral! Look on the bright side! :)

You do a great job. Keep trying on that encasing. It looks gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Your failures also dam good...They are really nice...
Regards,
Rosy.
---------------------------------
Swarovski crystal beads

Anonymous said...

What do you do with the bad ones? I want to buy them, I like them. The turd bead reminds me of Joe Dirt's "Meteor" he pulled around on the red wagon