10.24.2007

Fancy Photo Setup - Take Two

I found a tub that will work better for taking bead photos. Now the trick will be finding the proper lighting. So far I've discovered the best lighting is natural sunlight, but that can be hard to come by this time of year in the Pacific Northwest. Yesterday was gorgeous. It was 70 degrees out there and not a cloud in the sky.


I do think I captured this bead at the wrong time of day for the best lighting, a little too late, but I can tweak the highlights and shadows in a photo editing program to correct some of the lighting issues. Some colors of glass are just harder to photograph than others as well. When I first started selling my beads a couple of years ago I didn't realize I would need to become a photographer, web designer, accountant, and business manager, but that's what small business is all about. Lots to learn and do.


My plan for tomorrow at the torch is dots dots dots. I stink at putting dots on beads. They never go just where I want them. That's why I make so many swirly beads, easier to disguise the mistakes that way! It's time to get some dot practice.
post signature

2 comments:

The Beading Gem said...

That tub is inspired! I too struggle with jewelry photography. You could try a homemade and inexpensive light box with lamps. There is a link on my website to a jewelry photography ebook that I have read that might be useful.

Jennifer said...

Thanks! I'm on my way to check it out now.