10.16.2007

Looking for Balance

Finding the time to do something I really love to do amidst daily obligations is a real challenge. I need to make time for all the priorities in my life: God, family, friends, fitness, and then I need to make time for the obligations that I'd love to forget about. I mean, someone's gotta do the laundry and grocery shopping, right?

All I can do is try to balance all of those things, and if I find that the scale tips over, which happens more often than not, I need to readjust. That's what I'm in the process of doing right now. The reality is I can't go spend a few hours on my torch on a daily basis, especially not at this time of year with birthdays, holidays approaching, and the flurry of homeschooling activity that Fall brings.

My solution for now is that I will give myself two days a week to spend as many hours making beads as I want without guilt. The rest of the week I will take care of all those other desires and obligations, without feeling that I'm letting myself down in the bead making area. It means that it will take me longer to establish the business I had envisioned, but even that is not a bad thing. Without the thought of making beads that will sell, I'm free to experiment and have fun. That's ultimately what I'm looking for. Yes, it is gratifying to sell my beads, but the selling does detract somewhat from the peace I get from creating something beautiful. Balance.

And just because a lampworking blog without pictures of beads is a sorry thing indeed, I'm uploading a picture of a couple of beads I made last week.
post signature

9 comments:

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

Good for you! I'm so glad you've come back to one of your "true loves." And just to let you know, ummm, purple is one of my FAVORITE colors! ;-)

Great job on getting that garage cleaned up! Wow!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post! Time is the great enemy when it comes to hobbies of any kind...or home businesses, for that matter. It sounds like you've come up with a wise solution. Oh, and what gorgeous beads! Quite the talent, you!

Jennifer said...

Thanks, June. I kinda cheated and mostly just stacked stuff I didn't know what to do with on the other side of the garage. Oh well. It works for me! ;-)

jrh, I will eventually start getting up earlier, I think. Time is definitely not my friend these days, but I'm coming around to the idea that if I manage it better I can get a lot more done. What a concept, huh?

Jamie Dawn said...

Beautiful beads!!

What a great photo! Balance??!!??
YIKES!!

The truth is, balance cannot be sustained.
It is not possible because life is not set, it is ever changing.
Sounds like you've got a good plan.
Enjoy your bead making!
Get that laundry done and you are about out of milk and bread!! It never ends....
Life in the fast lane!!
:-)

Jennifer said...

You're right, Jamie Dawn, balance is probably a myth, but when I say I need "balance" I mean I've recently discovered that I can't make beads all day or people around here get very grumpy. I don't know, they complain of starvation and dirty underwear. Whiners! ;-)

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

Yeah, I say they can wash their own briefs and boxers and make their own sandwiches! ;-)

Joeprah said...

Balance is important...I struggle with this so much since it is usually--kids first, kids second, kids third, wife, cat...I am like after the trash and dishes. Yo go girl! Balance it out and bead it up!

Jennifer said...

Joeprah, yup, yup, and yup. A couple of my kids are older now, and they really help out a lot with the younger two, so I can squeeze a little time for myself out of the day most of the time now.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.