10.11.2007

How Did I Start This?

So, how did I get interested in lampworking, you ask? What's that? You didn't ask? That's okay, I'm happy to tell you anyhow.

Several years ago I saw Deanna Griffin Dove demonstrating her lampworking on the Lynette Jennings show. Until then it had never even occurred to me that people actually made glass beads. I guess I just thought they were made in factories with fancy equipment, or maybe I just really didn't think of it at all. When I saw one being made by Deanna I was intrigued. I really thought I'd like to do that myself but I thought it seemed too complicated, and I wouldn't even begin to know where to start with something like that, so I didn't think much more about it.

Later, a friend of mine, a fellow homeschooling mom, was diagnosed with breast cancer, and at one point during her fight a bunch of us from our circle of friends decided to show our support by creating a big beautiful string of beads for her. Jan was a bead lover, and several of us remembered getting beads from her at one of our weekend gatherings. Each of us contributed a bead or two to string together. I remembered the lampwork bead I'd seen on the show before and wished I could make something beautiful like that for Jan. Instead I made two very amateurishly, yet lovingly, done polymer clay beads, and enjoyed making them so much I was determined that I would find a way to learn to make glass beads. I took a class for beginners, bought some equipment to start, and I was on my way.

Jan lost her fight with breast cancer, but her life still touches mine today, and lampworking is just one of the ways.

So, I'm lampworking because I've been inspired by others. My lampworking changes and grows as a result of still more inspiration from others, and maybe they don't even know how they've inspired me. Everything we do sends ripples out into the lives of others, and here I am sharing a couple of ripples with you. Maybe now you'll be inspired to try something new too.
post signature

9 comments:

Pilot Mom said...

I'm popping in Jennifer to say Hi! ;)

I love beads! I'm not into making things but once my life is back to normal...erm...to my New Normal, then maybe I might like to try my hand at it.

However, my scrapbooking escapade is still languishing over in the corner and that's been a couple of years. Not that I haven't been busy or anything...I'm just saying... LOL!

Blessings to you, my friend! I'm glad you miss us! ;)

Jennifer said...

Claire!

I'm a scrapbooking dropout. I've released the guilt of undone books and piles of supplies left unused and just put the pictures in plain old albums now. lol!

Carolanne said...

I'm popping in to say hi too. I'm impressed with your bead making.

If I ever get the time to do some hobbying - apart from computer stuff - I'll get my cross-stitch finished first.

Avery Gray said...

That is such a touching story! And so appropriate for Breat Cancer Awareness month. I'm so sorry you lost your friend, but I think it's wonderful you found inspiration from her to make beautiful things!

Jennifer said...

Hi Carolanne! I have some cross stitch that needs finishing too. In fact, I have a piece that I started before I got married because I thought it would be cute on the wall of our new abode. It's still sitting undone in my nightstand.

Avery, yeah, she was pretty amazing, and I know I'm not the only one who was inspired by her.

Anne said...

I watched the video below - pretty cool. My mom is ALL into jewelry making. She loves beads.

What I've found that I really like to do and DON'T do is smock. The problem with it is that I hate to sew. I just wish someone would sew the dress and let me do the smocking. I especially love to make the smocked bonnets. I even have a pleater.

Judy said...

Oh! So glad to hear what/who inspired you.

I have over-worked my hands, so am 'on hold' with my old projects. Mostly needlework, rubberstamping and calligraphy.

I'm moving on to shadow boxes, which require less dexterity.

Your beads are beautiful!

Jamie Dawn said...

Congrats on the new blog!!
I hope your beading blog buddies will become more comment-oriented.
My computer is broken, and I'm using my daughter's until she starts yelling for it.
Happy Weekend!!
I'm not a craft oriented person. It's because I have no skills, man, no skills at all. I did enjoy scrapbooking, and I should get back to it. Other crafts make me look like a moron. Like I said... no skills.

R said...

I find that new hobbies are so sweet for our lives because we see another outlook, another avenue to go down we never knew was there before. I was like that with soap, and then guitar playing. I always thought that I was stuck with the same talents and could never expand. I guess I was ignorant. I think it splendid that you make gorgeous beads like this.